Missing Keys

Missing Keys

Postby jota58 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:49 pm

Just downloaded the calculator, and works great on top.
Nevertheless I am missing a couple of keys usually found in RPN calculators:

"UNDO" key
and
"DELETE" key (as in delete an entry)

why not use the F16 to F19 keys for these functions?
Thanks,
JP
jota58

Re: Missing Keys

Postby joe » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:31 am

Hey JP,

Thanks for your feedback. I can definitely look to adding some new functions. The only potential downside to using F16-F19 (aside from some potential technical road blocks) is finding the screen real estate to create matching on-screen keys, but of course I can figure out some solution to that.

There are, however, similar keys available currently. The UNDO key is somewhat akin to the 'LAST X' key (clear, up arrow), however not totally equivalent.

The DELETE key is perhaps similar to the rotate key (down arrow) which drops the a number off the stack (putting it back at the top).

What would you expect the DELETE key to do? Does it change the current bottom number to 0 or does it drop it off the stack, replicating the top number of the stack?

Perhaps the delete key (backspace) would be a logical choice for one or the other of these functions?

Joe
joe
Site Admin

Postby jota58 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:22 am

Thanks Joe for your prompt response.

You are right about the "lAST X", it´s just not the same. If I could choose, I would prefer just leaving an "UNDO" key instead, which would give you back the 2 entries previous to the operation.

I would expect the DELETE key to drop the stack, replacing with the previous entry. In my HP calculator the backspace key works as backspace when entering a number, but when the number is already entered, the same key makes a drop off the stack. I think that would be great in your app.

About the F16-F19 keys, the could be eventually implemented but without being in the screen. Specially considering that many of us will just be using the smaller displays.

JP
jota58

Postby joe » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:41 am

Yeah, I definitely can see the utility of the UNDO key. I'll try to find a good spot for it and will also enable command-z. I also think you are correct, it may not be entirely necessary to mimic the f16-f19 keys on-screen.

I think the backspace key sounds correct also. Basically, ROTATE (down arrow) and the backspace key will both pop the last number off the stack; the difference being that the rotate key will place the bottom number at the head of the stack, where the backspace key will duplicate the number at the head of the stack. Does that sounds correct?
joe
Site Admin

Postby jota58 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:24 pm

Exactly! I think just having cmd-z would make a difference.

With the backspace I was thinking of the entry leaving the stack immediately. Anyway, as you said, the ROTATE key does the job.
jota58

Postby joe » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:09 pm

UNDO and DELETE added to version 2.0.2, which I just submitted to the Mac AppStore. Barring any problems, it should hit the store within a week.
joe
Site Admin

Return to AepCalc