Getting started glitch

Getting started glitch

Postby rstein » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:05 am

I just purchased AepCalc from the Mac App store. Sadly its not working... I do not see a calculator window and nor do I seem to be able to find one. The "show all windows" command shows a greyed-out desktop with a small lozenge labelled "Aepyrius Calculator". Once AepCalc is running whether or not "on top" is selected switching between apps is very difficult as AepCalc seems to want to claim focus. Re-starting my machine is not helpful. I am running 10.8.2 on a 15" RD MBP
rstein

Re: Getting started glitch

Postby joe » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:20 am

I have just sent you an email following up on this problem.

In a few instances I have seen people lose the window off of the side of the screen. I'm not sure how this is happening; I haven't been able to reproduce this myself. I'm not even sure if it's a result of something that the user is doing or something else entirely. At any rate, the somewhat annoying solution to this is delete the settings file which stores the windows current location.

That file is located at:
Users/%USERNAME%/Library/Containers/com.aepryus.aepcalc.mac/Data/Library/Application Support/AepCalc/AepCalc.ac

...where %USERNAME% is your own username.

Library is a hidden folder so can be tricky to get to. If you are having trouble getting to the file the following should work:

- Close AepCalc
- Open a Finder window and move to your Home directory
- View the 'Go' menu up top and select 'Go to Folder...'
- Type 'Library' (this will allow you to see the hidden Library folder)
- From the Library folder navigate to:
Containers/com.aepryus.aepcalc.mac/Data/Library/Application Support/AepCalc
- In that folder there should be a file called AepCalc.ac, which stores the current window position. Delete this file.

This should force AepCalc to reposition the window to the center of your screen. Note, if you leave AepCalc running while deleting the file, AepCalc will simply recreate the file with the bad positioning, so it's important to exit AepCalc before deleting it.
joe
Site Admin

Postby ejad » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:17 am

I just purchased the calculator.
I am experienced a similar issue, with the difference I do not see any windows grey or otherwise at all.
I followed the steps from the previous post and deleted the file but did not work.
I tried the different options in the menu bar as well with no results.
ejad

Postby truegravity » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:37 am

I just purchased AepCalc from the Mac App Store and am having the same problem. I downloaded and installed it on a brand new MacBook Pro Retina running Mac OS X 10.8.2. The app starts but there is no window to be found. Tried all the different settings off the menu bar. Also tried the suggested solution to remove the AepCalc.ac file from the Library.

Nothing works.

Please help!! Thanks.
(Long time user on the PC from years ago and this is disappointing.)
truegravity

Postby joe » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:41 am

I just sent you an email truegravity.

Are you running Parallels? Both previous users with this problem were running Parallels, so I'm trying to track down a possible incompatibility between AepCalc and Parallels.
joe
Site Admin

Postby joe » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:44 am

I'm still in the process of trying to trouble shoot this problem.

So far it's been confirmed that of the 3 people that are having this problem all have Parallels installed. However, I installed Parallels on my own computer and was not able to replicate any problems.

I have just noticed that 2 of the 3 people have confirmed that they are using retina displays. I'll try to touch base with the 3rd user to see if he is using a retina display also. Again, as with Parallel's I don't see why a retina display would be a problem, but it's the only thing I've got at the moment.

Also, if someone with Parallels and / or a retina display is running AepCalc without any problems it would be awesome if you posted here to mention that.
joe
Site Admin

Postby joe » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:04 pm

Ok, thanks to the three users on this thread who helped me troubleshoot this problem and to Apple who gave me a valuable hint, I have been able to discover and fix the problem.

I will be submitting a fix in the next day or two. It should hit the AppStore in about a week.

If you are experiencing this problem and are in a hurry to start calculating, you could also try installing the fonts:

BlairMdITC TT
STIXGeneral

I suspect that will resolve the issue also.

I believe that those fonts are included with Pages. So, people who have Pages installed shouldn't have a problem with AepCalc. People who don't have Pages, will see the above described behavior.
joe
Site Admin

Postby joe » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:31 pm

AepCalc 2.0.1 has been submitted to the Mac AppStore. The review times are about 5 days right now.
joe
Site Admin

Return to AepCalc