A few updates December 2014

A few updates December 2014

Postby joe » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:24 am

Things have been pretty quiet around Oovium lately, but I finally have some updates to give:

- The GoDaddy server that hosts aepryus.com and oovium.com has been dying for months now. GoDaddy seems to have no ability or desire to do anything about this. I have been extremely pressed for time and consequently have been coaxing the server to limp along for the time being. However, in the new year, moving aepryus.com and oovium.com off of GoDaddy will be high up on my todo list.

- The Russians have won. I don't have the time to battle Russian spammers to this forum any longer, so I have shut down all new registrations. Ultimately, to combat this, I plan to handle forum registration from within the Oovium app itself. This however will take some time and it could be quite a while before the next version of Oovium appears. If someone wants to register or just wants to talk to me directly, send me an email. My address appears on the 'Contact' section of both aepryus.com and oovium.com.

- Generally, my time crunch has been caused by my running out of run way. I have had to take on a full time job. Obviously, this will be a serious blow to the Oovium development schedule.

- There is, however, one bit of somewhat good news. This summer I took the lasts bits of my runway before I got a job, in order to complete a Hail Mary project. I have recently submitted this project, Aexels, to the AppStore. Aexels is a free app that makes use of the Oovium visual programming language. If by some miracle Aexels were to accomplish its goals, I would perhaps be able to return to Oovium sooner than later.
joe
Site Admin

Re: A few updates December 2014

Postby oscampo » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:46 am

Hi,
I saw that Aexels is now in the AppStore, so, any news for Oovium?
oscampo

Re: A few updates December 2014

Postby joe » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:58 pm

Update to the update (Jan 17):

Ok, I finally was able to totally separate Aepryus Software and GoDaddy. Someday, I may discuss further the nightmare that is dealing with GoDaddy, but for now I'll just say that Digital Ocean is the way to go. Digital Ocean has been as good as GoDaddy is bad; and that's saying a lot. At any rate Aepryus.com is once again on stable footing.

That being said an Oovium update will not be coming out soon. The Oovium code is fairly old at this point and lots of the apple libraries have changed underneath it. Also, I have spent the last 18 months in San Francisco working at various startups and have learned tons of new tricks, some of which would be highly useful to Oovium.

Theoretically, I could try to put out a small build, however Apple totally changed the way UIWindow and the main UIViewController work together in iOS 8 and they totally broke Oovium. As such just getting it back to where it was is going to take a decent amount of time.

Beyond that, in the good news / bad news category, in wiring Oovium into Aexels I discovered something important: Objective C is very slow. The Aexels cellular automata board is 412 x 412, which is 186,000 cells or something. When I first wired Oovium into Aexels calculating a single frame took 30 seconds. Over the span of a month I totally nuked the Oovium math engine.

It had been this very clean and elegant objective C library. But, objective C has massive overhead. So I slowly ripped out the objective C and eventually replaced it with C. The resulting engine is able to render 10 frames a second. However, the Oovium engine is now hacked to pieces. It is held together with duct tape and rubber bands and although it's is way faster it is also in need of a serious overhaul.
joe
Site Admin

Return to Oovium