pvogel... Germany /sigh

pvogel... Germany /sigh

Postby joe » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:27 am

Dokumentation mangelhaft ★
by pvogel - Version 1.1.3.4 - Mar 13, 2013

Die App sieht vielversprechend aus. Aber auf Grund der mangelhaften Dokumentation und Hilfe kann ich nur sagen: Finger weg von dieser App! Unter diesem Gesichtspunkt ist sie zudem viel zu teuer.

Google Translate:
Inadequate documentation ★
by pvogel - version 1.1.3.4 - Mar 13, 2013

The app looks promising. But due to the lack of documentation and help I can only say: Stay away from this app! From this perspective it is also far too expensive.

==============================================================================

I'm about at my wits end with Germany. I really don't know what I can do. It is extremely difficult to stay enthusiastic and focused for years on end on such a challenging and thankless app. But, these non-stop soul crushing reviews from Germany greatly exasperate the issue.

I'd love to spend my substantially below minimum wage revenue (which apparently according to pvogel is too much) on producing documentation and videos in German, but I suspect not eating will have a negative impact on my development schedule. The entire German revenue over the last 4 years has barely paid for the original cost of translating the app itself into German in the first place.

As crazy as it sounds, I'm seriously considering just removing the app from sale in Germany. Or perhaps barring that just removing the German translation.

At any rate, if any one in Germany cares at all about any of this, please let me know.
joe
Site Admin

Re: pvogel... Germany /sigh

Postby joe » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:11 am

Dokumentation für den Neuling schwierig, App sonst aber gut ★★★★
by pvogel - Version 1.1.3.4 - Mar 17, 2013

Die App sieht vielversprechend aus. Aber auf Grund der zuerst unvollständig erscheinenden Dokumentation und Hilfe kann ich nur sagen: Man braucht viel Geduld um die App zu verstehen! Jetzt, nachdem ich mich längere Zeit eingearbeitet habe, ist die App gut.

Google Translate:
Documentation for the novice difficult but otherwise good app ★ ★ ★ ★
by pvogel - version 1.1.3.4 - Mar 17, 2013

The app looks promising. But because of the incomplete first appearing documentation and help I can only say: It takes a lot of patience to understand the app! Now, after I've worked a long time, the app is good.

======================================================================================================

Firstly, thank you very much to pvogel for amending his review; it's much appreciated.

That being said, I'm sure his criticisms are valid. And I hope to eventually be able to address them fully.

If you (pvogel) happen upon this thread I would be curious to know how I can help. Did you make use of the English tutorials? Did you find the English tutorials insufficient or is it that there aren't similar tutorials in German that is the problem?

In my somewhat limited experience with the German people I've met in Germany, I've found that they all speak English extremely well. And actually, unlike the translation into Japanese which had a dramatic effect on downloads in Japan; the translation into German did not effect downloads in Germany very much, if at all.

At any rate, any input you have on the topic would be greatly appreciated.
joe
Site Admin

Postby Kotonaru » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:36 am

Let's see...
Firstly, I'm from Germany, and I love Oovium. I still have a version of it installed on my iPod Touch, but that thing is around five years old and still running iOS... 4.1? Or something? I think? Anyway, it's definitely outdated. Oovium is still the best calculating app I ever found anywhere - though the first few minutes were rather frustrating, so the biggest hint to give is to take some spare time and play around with it for a while... instead of trying to get a grip on it while under time pressure.

Still, as you can probably guess by my latest iAnything-product being several years old, I've switched to Android, so there's that. I'm still looking for anything that compares to Oovium there, so far unsuccessful.

Oh, and about translations? I generally prefer using the English version. Sure, some apps have good, even great translations... but others read like something that makes Google Translate sound like Shakespeare... or Goethe, in this case. So, I don't care if something's translated - at best, it makes no difference, at worst, I can actually use the English version better.
Kotonaru

Postby joe » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:08 pm

Thanks for the feedback Kotonaru!

There has been interest in an Android version of Oovium, both on these forums and recently on Reddit. I have been sidetracked temporarily from the project in general and an Android version does seem a ways away at this point. However, I am still planning on getting one out eventually. (I have recently found a company that offers a tool that greatly speeds iOS to Android conversion and I may give it a try.)

Definitely a bit weird having and releasing a translated app in a language I don't speak, because I have no way to know whether the translation is actually any good. So any feedback on the translation that you would have be great. Although, I love Goethe, so I guess thats better than having it sound like google translate.
joe
Site Admin

Postby Kotonaru » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:14 am

First, sorry for the late answer, my life is currently rather busy and somehow, this fell under the rug.

Anyway, about the quality of Oovium's translation - the latest version I have is 1.1.3.1. Anything newer won't run on my iPod touch, so if the translation has been reworked by now, I can't say anything about it.
All in all, the quality is pretty good - the only sub-par area is "What's new?", which seems machine-translated, everything else looks like "natural" german text and is easy to read. The instructions are pretty easy to understand (in my eyes), too.

Oh, and given that I'm one of those people who fund this site asking google for "Oovium for Android", the "it might happen"-topic was actually the first I found. I'm looking forward to it.
Kotonaru

Return to Oovium