Oovium 1.1.3.4 with iOS 4.3 compatibility "fix" submitted

Oovium 1.1.3.4 with iOS 4.3 compatibility "fix" submitted

Postby joe » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:04 pm

I apologize if I come across as a bit frustrated by this issue.

I don't have any iOS 4.3 devices available. That version of the OS was supplanted on October 12, 2011 (14 months ago). I tried converting an old iPhone 4 to iOS 4.3.5, but Apple in their efforts to stamp out jailbreaking has entirely blocked the ability to install anything but the latest version of iOS available to any given device; even for developers.

Theoretically, this whole problem came about because of a random change Apple made to the SDK with iOS 6.0 that entirely broke anchoring in Oovium. In order to fix the problem for iOS 6, it was necessary to set a property on the aether view's gesture recognizer (maximumNumberOfTouches) to 1 in order to get it to behave the way it had behaved since iOS 2.0.

Apparently, this property didn't exist on the UIPanGestureRecognizer in iOS 4.3.5 and now when it gets set during startup it causes Oovium to crash immediately. All of this is speculation of course, largely based on user Nick's crash report that he pasted to this forum, since I can't test it myself.

I had been getting slaughtered on this issue for weeks in reviews in the German speaking world (Germany, Austria, Switzerland), but yesterday was the last straw when an American changed their formerly 5 star review to 1 star because of the issue (rather than read and/or post on this forum).

This, of course, immediately decimated my already pitiful sales.

So, I am forced to fix this issue blind. I am detecting the iOS version and forgoing the command for versions prior to iOS 6.0. I have tested this solution on my iPad 3 running 6.0.1, my iPad 1 running 5.1.1 and my iPhone 5 running 6.0.2 and it seems to work fine on each of these devices.

If this is in fact the problem Oovium is having with iOS 4.3 and if that problem is the sole problem for Oovium on iOS 4.3 than this should resolve the issue. But, I have no way of verifying that.
joe
Site Admin

Return to Oovium