Archive of Oovium User Requests

Re: Archive of Oovium User Requests

Postby joseph » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:33 pm

Hello!
I love this app already after only a day. It has already proven effective for studying pure math and I am excited to use it for tutoring as well. I do have one request that would be tremendously helpful to me and probably pretty useful in general:

It would be really awesome to be able to hyperlink the text bubbles to websites. Also, some way to attach files to these (especially pdfs) would be miraculous.

I hope this is possible.
Thanks for the awesome app,
Joseph

Abbendum:
1: I also think it'd be cool to fix the problem of collapsability in digraphs by just allowing the user to group things and collapse them, say by using the lasso or just collapsing by color/shape.

2: It'd be super useful to be able to import spreadsheets although it might be a pain in the ass to implement.

3:reegarding the mech bubbles and libraries, it would be great if there were some way for people to share libraries

4:I don't think I'd be the only one to benefit from the ability to have the text bubbles input/output to other Aether's text bubs.

5: Have you considered having a viewing mode and an editing mode? I'm not sure if that would help you... I'm just throwing it out there :)

Again,I really love what you're doing!
joseph

Postby joe » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:29 pm

Hey Joseph, Thanks a lot for your feedback and suggestions.

From your note, I am assuming you are speaking about Oovium for Mac.

I have been distracted a bit from my work on Oovium, but hope to return to it in a bit. But, let me give you a run down on your suggestions:

It would be really awesome to be able to hyperlink the text bubbles to websites.

This feature is probably pretty easy to implement. I suspect it would be more useful for the desktop version than the iOS version, but I see no reason not to do this.

I also think it'd be cool to fix the problem of collapsability in digraphs by just allowing the user to group things and collapse them, say by using the lasso or just collapsing by color/shape.

This is a fairly complicated feature for a few reasons, but also a very important one. This will definitely happen eventually, but I'm not sure where it falls on the priority list. The very next version is going to focus on some under-the-covers changes plus a(nother) massive revamp of the GridBub object.

But, I have been plotting a new version revolving around the visual aspects of grouping and I could see collapsibility falling into that area.

It'd be super useful to be able to import spreadsheets although it might be a pain in the ass to implement.

Certainly, for the desktop version this is a big deal. One of the major motivations for revamping the GridBub is to better facilitate this sort of thing. As you mention importing directly from other spreadsheets could be tricky, but I'd imagine a CSV import would be almost a given along with the GridBub revamp.

reegarding the mech bubbles and libraries, it would be great if there were some way for people to share libraries

This should be possible at the moment. It is possible to export aethers from OSX Oovium and send them to other people. They can then import the Aethers either to the OS X or iOS versions of Oovium and include them as library aethers. Let me know if you have any trouble with this or need a more explicit explanation.

I don't think I'd be the only one to benefit from the ability to have the text bubbles input/output to other Aether's text bubs.

I'm not exactly sure I understand what you are looking for with this, but perhaps you mean to use text as data. In that case there is already rudimentary ability to do this in Oovium, by hitting the quote key (") and typing in text. These bubbles can then be concatenated with other text bubbles or number bubbles. Certainly, more sophistication is possible / planned, but this may get to what you are looking for at the moment.

Have you considered having a viewing mode and an editing mode?

Yes, in general I like the concept of viewing modes. I think being able to lock an aether would probably be pretty useful, especially, if you could expose a subset of input bubbles.

Thanks again for your feedback. Please don't hesitate to let me know any other ideas you have.
joe
Site Admin

Postby DaneilKevin » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:33 am

Well what are the alternatives of it? I am still in a fix for it's solutions and prior configurations...:)
DaneilKevin

Postby joe » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:04 pm

DaneilKevin wrote:Well what are the alternatives of it? I am still in a fix for it's solutions and prior configurations...:)

Sorry, I’ve lost the context of your comment. What is the issue(s) you are grappling with?
joe
Site Admin

Postby Robert » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:48 pm

Hi,
I am novice in this forum and a very new user of Oovium too. I have made couple of aethers and they are working excellent..., but is it possible embed certain bubble from one aether into another aether ( in the same way like you are working with multiple spreadsheets). Another missing functionality is just copy and paste aether.
With best regards,
R
Robert

Postby joe » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:10 pm

It is currently not possible to directly reference a bubble in one aether from another aether.

There is however a possible work around for this situation: while the bubbles are not accessible, the Mechs are accessible. So, you could create a simple Mech that returns the value of your bubble; then add the sub-aether to your 'includes' area and then use that Mech from your child aether.

Realizing this is a probably a little confusing I will work on an example and post aether images in a few hours.
joe
Site Admin

Postby Ryder » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:59 pm

Instead of talking about what color to make available for a background... why not just let the users set it themselves with a color picker and be done with it?

And if you REALLY want to sew this topic up... allow the users to load a background image of their choosing off their camera roll.

Ryder
Ryder

Postby Ryder » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:11 pm

Big Feature request!

I'd love to see button objects that can be toggled between two internal values (more?), or perhaps two (more?) inputs.

Usage example:

Say you had calculations that might take values in inches or metric... a button object (with labeling options) could apply the appropriate conversion with a single touch.

Of course, if you have buttons, you need lights... :D

At some point, Oovium becomes a programming language...

Ryder
Ryder

Postby joe » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:19 pm

Ryder wrote:I'd love to see button objects that can be toggled between two internal values (more?), or perhaps two (more?) inputs.

This is an excellent suggestion and is definitely in line with the direction of Oovium. There are a number of such controls that I'd like to get into one of the upcoming releases.
joe
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Oovium