Archive of Oovium User Requests

Archive of Oovium User Requests

Postby joe » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:12 am

I'm going to use this post to track all user requests received on these forums and in AppStore reviews. It will be nice to have a public list of user requests available. But, also, I hope this post will encourage people to provide more feedback once they see what a high percentage of user requests quickly make their way into Oovium itself.

Request: Make Buttons Bigger
    - Snail200871 (Jan 9, 2010) "...buttons are too small..."
    - chris_conrad (Apr 6, 2010) "One improvement I'd like to see is a larger keypad on the iPad version. Apparently my fingers are not as skinny as the developer's!"

Request: Add Ability to Label Bubbles
    - xxxcandy (Feb 3, 2010) "...it needs the ability to add text tags to label numbers sets. I sometimes get lost as to what each calc belongs to, so a note could be handy. "
    - OmniusPi (Apr 7, 2010) "no labels for boxes"

Request: Add Ability to Zoom
    - OmniusPi (Apr 7, 2010) "no zoom"
    - GRK (Aug 7, 2010) "input bubbles and results are too small for iPad screen, should enlarge"
    - Idle Tears (Sep 1, 2010) "you can't zoom in to get a closer look"
Status: Pending - I am planning to add this once I move settings into the app itself. This will include the ability to zoom the aether and control panel separately. Both zooms will be handled from the new settings hover.

Request: Add the Option to Turn On Scroll Bars for the Aether
    - OmniusPi (Apr 7, 2010) "no scrollbars helping with canvas navigation"

Request: Give More Flexibility in How the App Looks
    - OmniusPi (Apr 7, 2010) "black is a poor choice of background color"
    - GRK (Aug 7, 2010) "Error cells need to show up as bright red and not pastel pink"
    - Dino_2010 (Dec 21, 2010) "Blurred - Please fix resolution"

Request: Explicitly Mark References to Other Bubbles From New Bubbles
    - OmniusPi (Apr 7, 2010) "no separation in a box between references from other boxes and numbers entered directly."

Request: Add Ability to Move Bubbles Once Placed
    - OmniusPi (Apr 7, 2010) "can't move a box once it's down"

Request: Draw Connection Splines Between Bubbles
    - OmniusPi (Apr 7, 2010) "no visual sign of connections like lines"

Request: Add More Functions
    - OmniusPi (Apr 7, 2010) "needs more functions"
    - Virtually Doug (Sep 11, 2010) "No statistical functions"
Status: On Going - More functions have been added since, but not sure which functions are desired.

Request: Simultaneously Display Expression and Result
    - GRK (Aug 7, 2010) "Under static conditions, you have no idea where values came from or how they were calculated. Connections need to be continually shown and both calc and results shown ... Like ( cos = ) or something along that line"
    - Xar (Sep 13, 2010) "It would be nice if there was an option to show three lines in the bubble: 1. the label, 2. the formula, 3. the result"
Status: On Hold - This is an interesting idea. Part of me thinks it will clutter up the aether too much and it isn't needed, but another part sees where this could be pretty useful. I would be very interested if any users have any input on this one.

Request: Add the Ability to Save and Reuse Aethers
    - Idle Tears (Sep 1, 2010) "you can't save a calculation web and reuse it"
    - Xar (Sep 13, 2010) "save and load different calculations"
    - Franz Xaver Dimbeck (Sep 14, 2010) "Berechnungen speichern"
    - Toshio Doi (Nov 3, 2010) "save and load"

Request:Integrate with Dropbox
    - Xar (Sep 13, 2010) "it would be an extre bonus, if it could be saved to - and loaded from - DropBox "

Request: Create Custom Functions
    - Franz Xaver Dimbeck (Sep 14, 2010) "eigene Formeln"
    - Dominic Van Hove (Sep 17, 2010) "Looking forward to the implementation of saved calculations and functions"
    - PTE66 (Oct 1, 2010) "saving a calculations for future use. Now you cannot save a complex formula, so now it is only handy if you work with one specific complex formula all the time"

Request: Make Connection Splines Permanent (not just while editing)
    - Xar (Sep 13, 2010) "showing all the lines"
    - PTE66 (Oct 1, 2010) "show always the connection between boxes not only when a box is selected"

Request: Add Directional Arrows to Splines
    - PTE66 (Oct 1, 2010) "don't use lines for the connections but arrows, so the direction of the connection will be visible at once"
Status: On Hold - I don't have any current plans to add this. I am not fond of the visual aesthetics of arrows. I understand the desire to be able to see the direction at a glance, but I'm waiting to see if there is more demand for this or if I can solve this in a more aesthetic manner.

Request: Create a Reference Manual
    - PTE66 (Oct 1, 2010) "a clear manual on the internet of downloadable because the UI isn't very intuitive"
    - Pturn2 (Feb 26, 2011) "limited in-app help"
    - Seadigs (Mar 17, 2011) "limited... documentation at this point... In -app help is very sketchy"
Status: Mostly Completed (http://oovium.com) - I still need to complete the article on GridBubs and dropbox usage and of course add to it as the functionality of Oovium grows, but I think its in pretty good shape currently.

Request: Bubbles Snap to Grid
    - PTE66 (Oct 1, 2010) "the boxes stick to a kind of grid, so it is easier to rearrange the boxes"
Status: On Hold - I'm not sure exactly what problem this solves. Hopefully with the advent of the GridBub and the ability to move multiple Bubbles simultaneously this issue has been resolved.

Request: Allow for the Color of Instance Bubbles to be Selected
    - PTE66 (Oct 1, 2010) "boxes should be given a different color to make parts of the formula more clear"
    - Bigstub (Dec 24, 2010) "colors"
Status: On Hold - Currently, color is being used to indicate the data type of the result of a bubble. On the other hand most people are probably working solely with reals, so the color dimension is perhaps being under utilized in that case. I will keep an eye on this.

Request: Add a Cursor for Editing an Expression
    - Toshio Doi (Nov 3, 2010) "can edit any place of calculation (with arrow key, etc)"

Request: Move Multiple Object Simultaneously
    - Toshio Doi (Nov 3, 2010) "multiple document and drag and drop and/or copy and paste objects"

Request: Adjust Number Formatting
    - dddo (Nov 3, 2010) "set the format of each bubbles (or all same?)"

Request: Fade Background Quicker
    - chris_conrad (Dec 21, 2010) "Can you make (or allow the user to) fade the background faster? It's a tad distracting to see the 3D grid and title upon launch."
    - Dino_2010 (Dec 21, 2010) "remove or make the startup wallpaper optional."

Request: Add Sound to Oovium
    - chris_conrad (Dec 21, 2010) "How about an option to turn on audio feedback? Maybe some classic 80 vintage computer "beep-boop" key press sounds? Perhaps a sound when we make a new bubble? (popping sound?) Maybe also a sound when we ask for the computation?"
Status: Pending - It has always been my intention to add sound to Oovium and I have a few ideas that are pretty sexy. The only issue is that up until now there have always been more pressing tasks. That will likely continue for sometime, however, when the times comes I will work on this and hopefully it will be pretty slick (think Lasso + Mortimer Ichabod Marker).

Request: Undo / Redo
    - Bigstub (Dec 24, 2010) "Undo / Redo"
Status: Pending - I would like to add this, but I'm not sure exactly what it means in the context of Oovium yet and once I figure that out I'm not sure about gestures. Probably this would be located on the menu.

Request: Cut and Paste
    - Bigstub (Dec 24, 2010) "cut/paste formula"
Status: Pending - This one too, I need to figure out what exactly it means in the context of Oovium. The soon to be released version 1.1.2 has a limited form of copy and paste that is usable for Node Bubbles only. Copy is located on the context menu. Paste is Anchor + double tap:aether. There are some rather prickly issues this brings up when trying to extend it to Instance Bubbles.

Request: Create a Visual / Functional Flowcharting
    - 1/Youngguy (Apr 17, 2011) "allowing an "overlay" for lack of a better word, of logic and decision making flow chart style shapes. This could go one step further and link with logic operators to the number flow on the math layer. "
Status: Pending - To some degree this functionality is being added with 1.1.2 via the new Mind Mapping Node Bubbles. But, those bubbles are not functional. I still don't know exactly what this would be within Oovium, but I will sit down and figure that out one of these days.

Request: Improve the Gestural Elegance of Instance Bubble Labels
    - nick_name2 (May 12, 2011) "The idea of moving by anchoring the aether with one finger and dragging something around with the other one is powerful and natural. Overloading this idea with anchor tapping is not.Labeling bubbles is buggy and awkward. "
Status: Completed | version 1.1.2 (coming soon, Aug, 2011) - New gesture added - double click on a bubble to access its label. (The bugs have been fixed also)

Request: Miscellaneous
    - GRK (Aug 7, 2010) "Put a barely visible square grid up after OOVIUM fade"
    - Bigstub (Dec 24, 2010) "centering"
    - Bigstub (Dec 24, 2010) "search"
Status: On Hold - This is a collection of assorted recommendations that I need some follow up information on to get an idea of what the user is getting after.

Have a suggestion not listed here? Want to second a 'pending' suggestion and move it up on the priority list? Want to argue an 'on hold' suggestion should be moved to 'pending'? Please post on this thread and be heard!
joe
Site Admin

Re: Archive of Oovium User Requests

Postby gryphon » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:05 pm

Oovium is pretty cool.

A couple of suggestions.

It would be nice to have row labels on the GribBub too.

How about a GraphBub?
gryphon

Postby joe » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:01 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

I have begun work on version 1.1.3. At some level, row labels for GridBubs is a major focus of this next version. It's going to be a bit more involved than just labels, but you'll definitely be able to enter in strings into cells.

Previously, I developed an application called AepGraph for Windows machines. The functionality of AepGraph at the very least will be part of the next aspect of Oovium (version 1.2). Version 1.1.3 is probably going to take me quite a while to complete, but 1.2 will be here eventually.
joe
Site Admin

Postby Roadie » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:32 am

joe wrote:Request: Simultaneously Display Expression and Result
    - GRK (Aug 7, 2010) "Under static conditions, you have no idea where values came from or how they were calculated. Connections need to be continually shown and both calc and results shown ... Like ( cos = ) or something along that line"
    - Xar (Sep 13, 2010) "It would be nice if there was an option to show three lines in the bubble: 1. the label, 2. the formula, 3. the result"
Status: On Hold - This is an interesting idea. Part of me thinks it will clutter up the aether too much and it isn't needed, but another part sees where this could be pretty useful. I would be very interested if any users have any input on this one.

This could be interesting as a selective option. What I'd be more interested in myself would be (a) some option to make InstBubs with only a number entered show up in a different shape or color than InstBubs with formulas entered, and (b) a way to lock editing of specific bubbles in their context menus. That would about cover all the cases I can think of for needing to know "this is a formula cell, do not mess with it", without cluttering up the view.

joe wrote:Request: Add Directional Arrows to Splines
    - PTE66 (Oct 1, 2010) "don't use lines for the connections but arrows, so the direction of the connection will be visible at once"
Status: On Hold - I don't have any current plans to add this. I am not fond of the visual aesthetics of arrows. I understand the desire to be able to see the direction at a glance, but I'm waiting to see if there is more demand for this or if I can solve this in a more aesthetic manner.

This feels really needed as an option to make mind-map use work well for me.
Roadie

Postby joe » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:00 pm

I like the idea of distinguishing input bubbles from formula bubbles. Another user has been adamant in wanting the ability to pick color and shapes of InstBubs. Perhaps that will solve this issue.

I should really modify the entry listing my current thinking on directional arrows. There has been a fairly strong user desire for arrows; and really in working with Oovium myself it's really hard to justify keeping them out.

This may sound surprising, but apparently determining the point that the spline hits the bubble shape is non-trivial. I have searched the API for something that will find me intersections of paths, but haven't found anything. And all solutions I have found to the problem online are seriously inelegant.

So, basically, I intend to add arrows as soon as possible, but it looks like it's going to be a significant project, so I'm not sure that I'm going to take it on in the next version.
joe
Site Admin

Postby jmagave » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:16 am

Your App has lot potential. I missed something or since 2010 you don't add zoom?

My requests, after 1hr of use:

A) zoom
B) aether background color, or complete color themes, fonts - please remove the black bg
C) better resolution
D) if you really mean oovium to be used for mind mapping, add colapsible nodes
E
I am really excited to see these improvements.

Jayr
jmagave

Postby joe » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:22 am

A- Zoom is still on my todo list, but admittedly hasn't been of terribly high priority.
B- Go to the Settings app, click on Oovium, switch Skin from Tron to Ivory.
C- I'm not sure what you mean here. The app does, however, make use of the retina display.
D- I have a few features planned that may give you some functionality you are looking for here. And certainly being able to hide / show child nodes would be fairly straightforward. On the other hand there are some complications, namely, since Oovium doesn't auto layout bubbles, the utility of this may be blunted. Also, I guess strictly speaking a mind map doesn't allow a node to have multiple parents. I guess Oovium is perhaps more accurately described as a concept map (mind maps being a subset of that), where the concept of collapse is a bit more ambiguous.
joe
Site Admin

Postby john » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:28 am

Hello!

Just downloaded Oovium last night after discovering it in the App Store while searching for something completely different (thankful for that "what others bought list"), and looking at all the videos available (?). Being a novice, please excuse not using the right terminology or missing a feature that is available. Here are some initial impressions/desires...
1) on the backgrounds... I prefer the Tron but with the burn on. Straight black is too much of a contrast with the elements, thus the need for the burn. I didn't like the Ivory, because there wasn't enough contrast between it and the elements. Wonder if a "starship" darkish battle-gray would work?
2) would like to see the connecting lines thicker and with persistent arrows...love the animated arrows during creation, but would be nice to have some indication of direction once creation has stopped;
3) my personal preference is for labels to be left justified as at least the default (noticed a justify pick somewhere so maybe I can change them to the way I want them);
4) in the "spreadsheet" elements, I would like to see the capability to tap on cells to enter references into a formula in another cell. Tried doing it, but ended up with what looked like text in the receiving cell once the = key pressed
5) I too would like to copy "spreadsheet" cells to other cells;
6) noticed some of the uTube videos are dated, but very useful for the concepts shown anyway.

I am excited about the possibilities of using Oovium! A bit of a learning curve to climb, but it should be well worth it in the end. One of its uses I foresee is mentoring young engineers.

Thank you for your hard work bringing Oovium to us!
john

Postby joe » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:44 am

Hi John!

Thanks a lot for your feedback! Let me give you some initial thoughts:

1) I would love to be able to offer additional skins for Oovium. Obviously, the mechanism is in place to handle it. However, each skin adds a considerable amount of work for each new element I add, making sure it looks good. And I think the degree to which the existing skins are aesthetic is somewhat unreproducible (I got lucky!). However, I am interested in perhaps eventually creating a mechanism that allows end users the ability to create their own skins -- ideally coupled with the ability to upload and trade them. (The whole thing really got sticky with the addition of 2 screen sizes, now 3 with the iPhone 5; 2 skins and 3 languages (English, Japanese, German) giving me 3 * 2 * 3 = 18 things to test when I layout something. It all seemed like a good idea at the time, but sometimes...)

2) The arrow thing is definitely a must, the only hangup at this point is that it's non-trivial.

3) Yes, this is easy to do and makes a lot of sense. I would like to eventually move the preferences into the app, so perhaps I can revisit this at that time.

4) Perhaps I'm not totally understanding you here, but this should work. Each cell in the GridBub should act just like any normal InstBub. If you are editing a column formula (using the ColBub) you can hit specific cells or you can tap the column header in order to do row-wise calculations. What you can't do currently is create calculations that involve others rows relative to the current, however, that will come eventually.

5) I still have some conceptual work to do on copy / paste, but yes I need to further expand this capability.

6) The GridBub video in particular needs to be revamped. Perhaps, I'll spend a few days on that in the next week or two.

Thanks again for your feedback. I too believe that this could be (or could become) a great learning tool for programming, science and engineering students. I haven't heard of people using it as such yet, but it is an explicit hope of mine.

Thanks again,
Joe
joe
Site Admin

Postby john » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:31 am

Ouch!!

Just spent quite a bit of time replying to you last post (thanks for the reply)--taking time away helping and talking to my wife-- and when I pushed submit it came with the login screen-- all my post gone! I guess I'll compose out of the forum copy and paste in the next time to prevent the loss of my "prose".
john

Next

Return to Oovium